Tuesday 2 November 2010

Let's unclench fists and smile

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~ Anne Frank

A very good morning everyone. Anne Frank's quote is playing on loop in my head, against a very disturbing image. On my drive to work this morning, I saw a painfully thin man who was all but dragging himself forward. It was obvious that he hadn't eaten for days and his pain was palpable. On reflex, I shut my eyes and clenched my fists saying, "Oh my God." I passed by and then wondered to myself, "Is this all I am going to do when I see a hungry person?" Did shutting my eyes and clenching my fists help him in any way? 

I believe, no matter how much we give back to society, there is place for more; and, this man is an example. I begin my mornings with quiet contemplation and I sit thinking about that man now, wondering how far he has gotten, if he has any place to go to, when he is going to have his next meal, does he have family? I say a silent prayer for his soul and hope that he is able to find a saviour in this physical world.

You know what's telling? All of us have the ability to be someone's saviour... in some way or the other. Most of us wait, wait to help, wait to do social work, wait to contribute, wait to give back to society. How lovely it would be if we quit waiting, and helped.

The time to help society in whatever way we can is now. None of us have to go looking for causes to support, they're all here, right before our eyes, in the form of starving men, women and children, exploited people and animals etc. All living beings, man, woman, child and animal has the basic right to live... and if we're in any position to help them in any way that we can, we simply must.

We could donate to a cause that rehabilitates, counsels and supports those in distress, we can volunteer at one of the homes, hospitals etc., we can celebrate birthdays by sponsoring a meal for one of the homes, celebrate the joy of festivals by giving back to society, to those most in need. Yes, this requires a commitment, a time commitment and a promise to humanity and our very own saviour who has put us in a position to help others. But, this is one commitment that all of us simply must keep.

Another promise we can begin right away is by promising our saviour and ourselves that we will make life easier for whoever we come in contact with today. Family, friends, colleagues, bosses, even strangers. This is a promise we can fulfill right away because we can start now. It's easy, just look at the person and/or people around you and smile. See how lovely they feel. You know what, you've just sent out a beautiful positive wave into the universe. This wave is so full of goodness, purity and strength that it will go around and make a lot of others joyous. The person or people you just smiled at, will do the same with you and with people they meet and in effect we will have a beautiful chain of continuing smiles. 

A smile goes a long, long way in cheering someone up, making someone feel good and/or even giving people hope that no matter what ails this world, there is always time for a smile. Wasn't that ever so easy? :) Now that we've started the 'smile-chain', it's time we took a step out of our comfort zones and spread the smile-chain elsewhere as well. How beautiful this world will be if we spread these lovely smiles. :)

And while we're spreading smiles, we can volunteer for one or several causes that so need as much love, affection and attention. The time is now. As I think about that man I saw this morning (the inspiration for this post), I pray for him and send out a lot of love and spiritual embraces. I believe the beautiful universal waves will carry them to him. I must also thank him for a telling lesson he taught me, the time to make a contribution to society is now. He touched my soul so deeply that I renewed my promise of help and giving to God and the universe... and if this post has moved you to do the same, then he has touched you too.

Together, let's thank God for him and the priceless lesson he unknowingly taught us.

Dear God, we pray for the soul of the man who taught us that the time to give is now
We pray that he finds his peace and respite in you
We hope that you send him a saviour here on Earth and ease his pain
We renew our promise to you and vow to help and contribute to society in any way we can
We pray for all souls here on Earth, please help everyone to find their strength in you
We pray that we continue to make positive change in whatever way we can, whenever we can
Dear God, this is one of our many prayers to you

It's time to turn the clenched fists to linked hands, and of course, continue the smile-chain.

Have a fabulously blessed day everyone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment