Saturday 11 September 2010

The Soul Story



Good afternoon, everyone. As the beautiful breeze caresses my cheek and plays with my hair, the two lines above sing a song in my heart and soul. C.S. Lewis famously wrote - "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."

Our souls; something we don't see, but feel, believe in and live. Our souls are one of God's most precious gifts and most enduring tests of faith. Like God, our soul is something we believe in without seeing. This physical life is just a path towards spiritual fulfillment. So, what are the scriptures trying to tell us in those two simple lines? Death is not the end, just a temporary stop in an ever-continuing journey. Our life on Earth is just a part of a longer journey that our souls must undertake.

When a loved one passes away, our physical being mourns the persons absence, however, our spiritual being celebrates the soul's passing from this life to the next. Most of us wonder what the next life involves; our soul's next step is determined by the path we take while on Earth. Who and what we come back as in a different life, depends on how soulfully we've lived our last lives. Have we been true to our God and ourselves and do we go to a higher realm or do we come back to Earth to pay for all that we've done and imbibe lessons that we've failed to understand? As we face our God and saviour on judgment day, we will have to answer some questions: Did we over-indulge in only worldly pleasures, ignoring our soul completely? Did we intentionally ignore our soul's purpose? Did we try and live as true to ourselves as we could? Did we abuse and misuse love? What have we done for the betterment of mankind, animalkind and nature? Did we allow our ego and pride to rule our lives? Did we depend on lies to get ourselves forward? How many times did we call on God, truly call on God in prayer without expectations, wants and demands? Did we live as God intended us to live?

What do you think our answers will be? Our physical life on Earth determines the path our soul takes. There's no reason to worry, because God is gracious enough to forgive us and allows us redemption. It's never too late to transform oneself and live fuller, complete spiritual lives. God doesn't focus on sins of the past, but on our transformation in the present in preparation for our soul's betterment... our true selves. Our true lives. Indeed, when the angel of death comes knocking on our doors, God awaits us, not to judge but to help us realise and understand that life is about our soul. Our transitional bodies in this temporary physical life are mere instruments that help us fulfill our soul's true purpose. While each of us have our individual soul purposes, the foundation of our physical lives are based on common values that find their breath in love, truth, goodness, peace, sharing, caring and all of God's will.

I've left all of you, including myself with a lot of questions today. These questions are mere little wake-up calls, nothing to be afraid of really, just little post-its for our physical beings. :) All of us have allotted times on Earth and as the clock ticks, we must spend our remaining time in accordance with God's will and our soul's purpose.

Dear God, thank you for a new day
Thank you for another chance to love and serve you
Thank you for reintroducing me to my soul
As always, I pray that when I open my mouth, I may say kind words to all
When I think, please give me the grace to think of good thoughts
When I'm weak, please help me find my strength in you
When I'm happy, help me to praise you and spread the happiness
When I'm sad, help me embrace and accept my sadness for what it truly is
My dear God, please give me the grace to live my life soulfully, just like you meant me to live it


Have a fabulously blessed day everyone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment