Monday 13 September 2010

Walking with God

"Weave in faith and God will find the thread." ~ Author Unknown

Good morning everyone, as the sun plays hide-n-seek (again) this morning, I am confirming travel plans for this week. Last week was quite hectic conducting back-to-back interviews and it seems like this one is going into overdrive. As my plans for a quiet week seem to dissolve, I believe that God is taking me where he wants me to be. Indeed, he has a beautiful plan in-store and as I prepare for a marathon week of interviewing a fresh set of people for the latest book, I know there's learning and a spiritual adventure in the wings.

Most of us, at some point or another, wished that we were elsewhere - in a different place, different country, different time and probably as different people. But no matter how much we'd like to change our present situation and no matter what the situation is, we must believe that we are in the exact place God wants us to be. If the place and/or circumstances are tough, then God has a lesson in those situations, and if things are going fabulously well, then we're there to help another person in need. I believe that God puts us in certain places, at certain times as a part of his plan in the larger scheme of things. We're all connected by a common bond - love, and we must assist one another when needed. God puts us in certain places, helps us come across certain people and face certain situations because there is a lesson there for us and others.

It's normal to aspire to do better, move to a better place, change one's situation for the better; but remember, that before God's blesses us with the fruits of something better, he hopes that we understand and learn from our current situation. Sometimes, bigger is not always better, sometimes we lose our souls in our quest for change. I've learned that if God wills change, he will grant it to us. We put in the effort and the change will come. However, if God wishes otherwise, no matter what we do, we will find ourselves in the same situation. One may physically be able to change one's surroundings, but spiritually and mentally one is where one was to begin with.

This is where or faith comes in. We must have faith in our good Lord and trust him enough to know that we all are where we're meant to be. We are in a certain place to learn and to share what we've learned. I'd like to use myself as an example here: Exactly six months ago I was in two-minds about my next career move. I had quit the magazine I was writing for and I was in a 'what-next' situation. I knew I wanted to do something concrete in terms of my writing, and just lifestyle writing saturated me. I remember sitting on my bed, looking skywards and asking God to guide me, please just guide me and I will follow. About 15 minutes later, my current company called and asked me to meet with them the following day. Towards the end of the meeting, they offered me a position with all their coffee table books. Books, books - this is just what I wanted. Spiritually it felt right. I smiled because again, God answered me. I spoke to him and he answered me.

Here I was fretting about my next move and all I had to do was turn to God and ask him to guide me. I used a career as an example, however, if we sit down and introspect, we'll find how God guides us through everything: our relationships, careers, travel plans... everything. Indeed, some situations bring pain that is hard to comprehend but remember, God does not want us to comprehend our pain, he just wants us to accept it. There is great learning in pain and tears sanctify our spirits. Some situations make us tremendously happy and God wants us to enjoy that and share it with people less fortunate. Pain is about acceptance and having faith and trust in the Lord, happiness is about sharing and caring for other. And of course all the other emotions have little gems of lessons in themselves. The point is, no matter what the situation, our good Lord has take us there and he has brought us there as a part of his plan. In this journey of life, there will springs, summers, autumns, winters, monsoons and sometimes a mix of seasons - just like changing seasons, situations in life change too. Change and acceptance should be second nature; trust and faith in our good Lord the first.

About a year and a half ago, a very dear friend told me, "You know what, you could be planning something and then something totally different happens." I agree with him, but I also believe that whatever happens, happens according to God's will.

Remember, if God brings you to it, he will take you through it. Just have faith in him and trust him. When in doubt, talk to him, and he will answer you in his time. God answers us when he knows that we're spiritually ready for the answer, when we're spiritually ready for the change.

"God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them" ~ Author Unknown

Have a fabulously blessed day everyone. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment